These guys have been on my to-bake list for quite some time now. I finally got the chance to make them the other day and they were everything I expected them to be! This is a recipe from Ina Garten, and she has yet to disappoint. The cake itself is really light and fluffy and is flavored with vanilla and almond extract. The frosting is the star though (as usual). It's a cream cheese icing (also flavored with vanilla & almond extract). Why is cream cheese icing so damn good?!?!? Overall, I thought these were great and I absolutely loved the way they looked with the white frosting and the white coconut sprinkled on top!
Recipe: From The Barefoot ContessaMakes 24 cupcakes
- 3/4 pound unsalted butter at room temperature
- 2 cups sugar
- 5 extra large eggs at room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons almond extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 14 ounces sweetened, shredded coconut
- 1 pound cream cheese
- 3/4 pound butter, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 1/2 pounds confectioners' sugar, sifted
- Preheat the oven to 325. Line 2 muffin pans with liners.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar at medium speed until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Reduce the speed to low, and add the eggs, one at a time, scraping down the bowl between each addition. Add the vanilla and almond extracts and mix until incorporated.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Alternate adding the dry ingredients and the buttermilk in three additions, starting and ending with the dry ingredients. Mix until just combined, and fold in 7 ounces of the coconut.
- Fill each liner almost to the top with batter. Bake 25-35 minutes, or until the tops are brown and a toothpick comes out clean. Cool in pans for 15 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely before frosting.
- For the frosting, mix the cream cheese and butter in a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Add the vanilla and almond, and gradually add the confectioners' sugar. Mix until smooth.
- Frost the cupcakes with the cream cheese icing and sprinkle the tops with the remaining coconut.